You may use this as a sample of the opening resolutions you will need for your church. These are essentially the ones we used for this church. I left off some of the last names and such for the privacy of some of our board members, but this will give you an idea of the things you can put in your own opening resolutions.
Opening Resolutions for Quest Church
August 25, 2004
On the above-referenced date, Quest Ministries of the Universal Life Church & ULC Seminary, Inc. formed its board of directors.
The board resolved that the board members will be as follows:
President: Rev. Amy E. Long
Vice President: Rev. Josh Copeland
Second Vice President:
Secretary: Rev. S. Smith, Attorney at Law
Treasurer: Rev. J. Smith, Retired Security Consultant
Director of Spiritual Innovation: Rev.Ronald Nakamoto, technical adviser.
Director of Spiritual Outreach: Rev. ________.
The board resolved that it would receive an EIN number, which it did on this date, August 25th, 2004. The number is XXXXXXX.
3. The board resolved that the Amy Long would serve as pastor of the church and would be authorized to act on its behalf.
4. The board resolved that it would incorporate in the near future and would further apply for the religious exemption from the State of California so we can grant degrees to our members.
5. The board resolved that the church would perform the majority of its ministerial tasks through its presence on the world wide web.
6. The board resolved to use the main domain name of www.ulcseminary.org, but would also purchase related domain names for the use of the church.
7. The board authorized the creation of the church website which will include guest sermons from the congregation, teaching discourses on a variety of subjects, frequently asked questions about our church and about as many other religions as we can determine, a church-related store, a forum for our ministers to enjoy fellowship, a seminary for the instruction of our congregation and current ministers and other instructional material as seems appropriate.
8. The board resolves not to have any on-site Sunday school for the instruction of the young, as we feel it is the job of the parents and guardians to instruct their young in a manner most appropriate to their personal beliefs. We have resolved, however, that a wide-range Sunday school curriculum be made available to our congregation as soon as possible.
9. The board resolves to do a monthly newsletter to keep our congregation informed and involved and further resolves to send out special announcements as appropriate and necessary.
For more information about starting your own church, please see the following links:
Sample Bylaws - When creating your church, you will be asked to create your bylaws. This page has a sample of the bylaws I used. You are welcome to copy them and change them to suit your person church and situation.
Articles of Incorporation - It's also necessary to have articles of incorporation if you wish to incorporate your church. These are ones I created. Again, you are welcome to use them and change them as appropriate for your own needs.
Declaration of Faith - For each church, this is obviously going to be different. You may use this as a template to create your own declaration of faith. This is a great statement to share with the people of your congregation.
Statement of Beliefs- A statement of beliefs is similar to a declaration of faith. You can use this sample to see if it's something that you need and want to have for your own church and your own website. Talk to your congregation about what they think would be right for you.
Opening Resolutions - This is one of the things required when starting a new church. As with all the other things in this section, you can use this as a guide to help you create what you neeed for your own church. This is what I used when creating the ULC Seminary church.
IRS Qualifications - This article talks about what the main 14 points are that the IRS requires in order to establish your church as a church in the IRS's eyes. You can review them and see how well your church fits those requirements before you file for consideration.